Genbrugskontakten, Vestergade 92

 Reduce, reuse and recycle!


Our second hand shop has a very special atmosphere - mostly because almost everyone is voluntarily there and just loves their work at the shop. I am there once a week, on Fridays. Genbrugskontakten is the main source of money for Kontakt mellem Mennesker. 

Genbrugskontakten in all of its beauty from the outside


Already on my first workday there I knew, that this place is very special and dear. Everyone is so genuine and sweet and I extremely enjoy going there. Just as at the office, a variety of tasks are hidden in the shop, but I can remember my very first one. It was up in the attic, where I rearranged chairs with a colleague. I was a little shy and didn't really know how to do it, but quickly got a hang of it. It was the beginning of my love for this shop. 

the (nicely arranged) chairs up in the attic


One of the things I almost always do is sorting through boxes, which people have given us. Those boxes are like big surprise packages: you never know what you will get. Over time I got an eye for what to put in the shop and what to throw out. I'm not going to lie, at first I was a little afraid to just throw things out, but it's better than keeping it in the shop for months and not selling it. 

Connected to throwing out things is the so-called "driving genbrug". Those are the days on which I get to join in the bus and dispose of and sort our trash at the Recycling Station in Svendborg. While doing so, we sometimes also pick up a variety of things from people's homes, such as sofas, benches or tables. 

Going through the shop and changing things or rearranging different things is a task we all have an eye on all the time. If I see something, that looks misplaced or else, I just take it and find another place for it. Sometimes I get stuck doing this and just spend what feels like hours rearranging small things or clothes.

me rearranging dishes


Speaking of clothes: this is also a big part of tasks. Sorting them, putting a price on them, bringing the into the shop and arranging them nicely. 

a small part of our clothes-section upstairs


As my Danish got better and better, I also got the chance to stand at the cashier's desk. After a brief explanation on how the people can pay and what I have to track, I found myself actually selling stuff on a Friday afternoon!

the first things you see, when you get into the shop


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Most probably a love letter

Introduction

Volunteering and Corona