Most probably a love letter

 Dear Denmark, 


It's me, the Austrian girl who weirdly calls you home. 

I know that our relationship started problematically from my side. I was crying a lot in the beginning, overthinking and not knowing how to feel. I left everything to come to you and to be honest, I regretted it right after I did it. But you gave me time. Time to find myself in you, which luckily came pretty fast. You gave me all of the time I needed to finally call you 'home'.

By being with you, I could leave a lot of struggles, anxiety and pain in the past. There were so many things I just could not understand, could not comprehend. You know best, how hard it was for me. But you also know, that you basically opened up my eyes and heart for the wild, wide world and everything it holds. Through you I found myself - and I accepted her. I found confidence and beauty and love from within, everything I barely experienced before. 

And now, we both know I will have to leave you soon, very soon.

From the beginning of our relationship we knew this day would come. The day, on which I leave you behind as another chapter in my life, the most special one. But even though we will be parting, you left me uncountable memories, treasures and experiences. Even though all of these months did not go as planned, I am still full of love, kærlighed, Liebe, iubire for you.

For example my two host families, who I grew together with like a real family. There were Hanne and Birger, who taught me to take life a little less serious and just chill out from time to time. They helped me stepping on the brakes at a point in my life where it was very much needed. And there were Anne-Marie, Brian, William and Kathrine, who showed me how crazy and exciting life in a big family can be. We only have 3 months together, but they gave me so much, it feels like forever.





Or Gry, my mentor/boss/friend/cheerleader, who always got my back, no matter how tough life could get. You inspired me to be the best version of myself at all times. Either it was through pushing me in my work or giving me hints for my private life. 


Or Lis, a very dear colleague who I had some of the greatest conversations of my life with. 

Or Inge, the leader at the second hand shop, who I could not hide my feelings from. She always just knew when something was wrong. She 'never wants to come too close to me and talk too privately', but oh honey, we could talk about everything.

Or Kristyna, without whom I could not have born half of my feelings and in whom I found a great friend I never want to leave. Lady, you have my heart.


Or my Spanish peeps, Rosa, Karen and Jaime, who were my first friends here and will hopefully be until the end of days. It's so weird how many memories we share with only seeing us, what, 4 times? (I will visit you in Copenhagen asap, kids!!!)




Or the volunteers from my ICYE trainings, who got to know me (maybe a little too) comfortably well online, but I got to see only few of them. From them, it was Fabienne, Pablo, Ferdi and Lena staying in my mind. Either because we spent the most time together or it is you, Lena, knowing about my deepest fears. Love you guys.






Or Valeria, the exotic one, who I had a lot of fun days with at the second hand shop, and who we all were thankful for her mess-cleaning. Thank you for listening to most of the things that come out of my mouth.

Or every single person else, whom I met here. At the scouts, at the language school, at my project, through friends or through my host families. Man, I even befriended the waiter in my favorite cafe. It is such an incredible and somehow supernatural thing, the fact that you can build up a life in only ten months. There are so many names and adventures popping into my head right now, it would take a whole novel to write about everyone. So, if I got to know you in Denmark: I love you and will always keep you in my heart. 










My dear Denmark, as you can see, you gave me a lot. Whether it was sadness and frustration or happiness and inspiration: I am thankful for every second we had. You taught me so much more than school or even life itself ever could. Therefore, I'm sad to leave you, but it will be okay. We'll be alright. 

Yes, I loved to call you home for the past 10 months. Everything must come to an end, but it shouldn't be scary. I'm still going back home, just in another country. I feel honored to have had the privilege of two homes for some time. 

Please don't forget me.

I'll be coming back to you soon, 

Nati

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Volunteering and Corona