March 2021

 The comeback of a normal life


March definitely was the month of business and starting up again. Suddenly, at the beginning of the month, everything got full of life again, which was nice, but sometimes also extremely overwhelming. I just wasn't used to being that busy anymore and the change was a bit hard, to be honest. Denmark slowly opens up again from Lockdown. 

It all started with the re-opening of Genbrugskontakten. I got to spend the whole opening-week there, which was a special experience. On the first day, there were unbelievably many people coming by and we sold for a record amount. There was always something to do and it was SO great to see the shop full of customers again. As all the other stores opened up also, I had to run some errands and just look around in the second hand shops, of course. 

I even had the chance to taste-test my co-workers baking skills


Next to the shops, we also started again with scout meetings. It feels good to be back. The kids are also quite happy, as the meetings are well visited. Due to the fact that we are only allowed to be outside, our meetings are always accompanied by a cozy bonfire.

Around the middle of March, I was able to attend the evening course in Danish physically. It is quite exhausting to go to school from 5 pm to 8 pm, but I still enjoy learning the language. I feel like I already caught up a lot of it.

All of these activities starting again really made me feel overwhelmed and tired at times. Some days were so busy, that I didn't even want to I'm just not used to being that active anymore, but I'm sure I'll get used to it again pretty soon. Well, I have to, if I want to spend the rest of my time here wisely. 

This month I have also been at the office for the first time since before Christmas. Gry and I interviewed the applicants from ICYE, who should come this September. It was an interesting experience, as I basically was at the same spot a year ago as they are now. It was exciting to see the other side of the interview, as I never realised how big of a deal that whole process was. It made me even more grateful for my chance to live here. Gry made a decision (with a little bit of my help) and I think it fits pretty well.

For some reasons, I got a lot of compliments from co-workers about my work this month, which made me feel validated and good. Maybe it is because I became more and more confident in what I am doing.

Something that had me being unsure and anxious was my living situation. As our house is now officially sold, we started searching for a new host family for me. After, like, 2 weeks of searching we found one and they also live in Ollerup! My current host mother and me visited them and it seems like we are a good match. I will be moving in with them on the first of April already, which is a little scary, but exciting. I'm up for a challenging change!

catching my first host family ever in a picture

Regarding my situation when I come back home to Austria, I took a ranking test at a university and am on their waiting list now, which is my Plan C. The study I 'm interested in there is biomedical engineering. Moreover, I registered for the test at another university, for their pharmacy study as Plan B. Now you may be wondering what Plan A is - and it is still food- & biotechnology. I'm curious what it will be in the end.

my host mother surprised me with a shot in the middle of my test to calm me down

Next to all of the exciting things happening, I naturally had low days on which I missed home a little much and experienced random waves of sadness, loneliness and moodiness. But I have to say that I got better at coping with these feelings (compared to when I came to Denmark), even though I still have a long way to go from here.

On the other hand, spring has a great impact on me this year. The weather getting gradually nicer and the days getting gradually longer just makes me feel better and happier. I'm so ready for real spring in Denmark!

happy Nati on a sunny day

Basically, I spent a lot of time with Kristyna. I think living together for a month quite bonded us together and I'm very thankful for her support and presence. (at this point we're just waiting for tattoo shops to open again in order to get one together) 

she was having dinner at our place and we drank some wine

Speaking of friends, I have also spent a day in Faaborg with Valeria, another volunteer at Genbrugskontakten. Later on, Rosa and I have had a sleepover at her place. In general I can say I'm extremely grateful for my friends and the network I have built up here in Denmark in (short) 6 months.

an exciting day with Valeria


hygge with Rosa

I have also been on a little trip with some volunteers I know from my On-Arrival and Mid-Term-Training. We met up at Legoland in Billund (after a very long journey for me) and slept over at one's house in Aarhus. It really was one of the best days of my life! We had a lot of fun, felt like children again, Ferdinand and me brought home a little sunburn on our foreheads from the beautiful Danish sun and it felt like we've known each other for forever already. Until this day I sing our Lego-safari song constantly in my head.

all of us volunteers that met up - Pablo, Fabienne, me, Ferdinand, Clara and Lena 


us being very responsible with our masks on the rides and in the queues

Negative:

  • a lot of insecurity about my living situaton
  • being unusually exhausted at the end of a day
  • feeling helpless about some negative feelings
  • an unusual amount of moody days
  • realising I have way too many things here to bring home again

Positive:
  • crocheting a cape for a friend's dog and my first crop top
  • exciting and good news from home
  • finally making a bucket list for my last months here
  • a webinar hosted by the Styrian scouts
  • watching the handball EM qualifications (Denmark 37:21 North Macedonia)
  • learning how to tie a tie
  • having dinner at my host parent's daughters house

enjoy a picture from a beautiful sunset at the lake in Ollerup



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Most probably a love letter

Introduction

Volunteering and Corona